Monday, December 30, 2013

Today's Tea: Dandelion, Peppermint, Rose Bud & Rosemary

Today's tea was so good. I got sick of nettles. I'm pretty much convinced the limit on that is two days, which is approximately how long I was able to drink nettles before it just became enough. I trust my body to tell me what to do. And it knows. Today I was about to make another batch of nettles tea (namely for my roommate, who had requested it for his cough... but I know myself, and I would be drinking it as well, and he'll drink whatever I give him so it's all good either way).. but my body said stop! Instead, as I was sifting through my inventory of teas, I listened to my instinct, which lead me to pick out

This afternoon's tea:

dandelion leaf
rosemary
peppermint
rose buds

It was extremely light, and flavorful. Again, a tea that needed ZERO sweetener. The rose buds gave it a slightly sweet taste, it was really awesome! This tea is very nutritous. Dandelion is what they call a "nutrative herb".

I didn't know why. Your body knows what you need all the time. That's why you crave certain foods, but aren't aware of it. If your body is in need of protein, you will instinctively eat something high in protein. It's an automatic process that most people don't even think about, or perhaps even had never even considered. Your body knows what you need. And thats the best thing we can have! How great our bodies are, that it tells us what to eat/drink, etc. My body said I needed these things, and you know what? When I drank it I was sooooooo happy. It was just what I needed. I felt chilled out (I was on overdrive most of the day), my joints felt less achy, and it made me feel more alive. When your body needs a certain herb, in my experience, it will just automatically taste good to you, or you will just want to drink tons of it, because thats the way it is. Conversely, if your body doesn't need an herb, and it is presented to you as a tea, you might spit it out, or just take a sip, grimace, and set it aside. A lot of this, in the world of medicinal teas, is not about the way that it tastes only, as you might think. If your body craves it, the taste will either not matter as much as how much your body tells you to drink it ... and then you want it, or in my experience it will just taste better to you when its what your body needs. For example, one day in class, there was a tea... it was of Yarrow Root, and everyone in the class complained about the flavor. But to me, it was like the nectar of the gods. It tasted great! I wanted to drink a pitcher of it. Now, taste is mental. My body needed this tea, so the taste did not offend me. Others, perhaps did not have the need for it medicinally or nutritionally (which can be one in the same), so they just thought about the taste, and they didn't like it. I found that interesting. Also because in the past there have been teas that made me gag. I really really didn't like the taste, and others found it less offensive. I really do think it's your body's way of telling you what you need and what you don't at the time, it acts as a natural filter for what goes in our bodies, and for that, we are so lucky and I am so grateful! It's an amazing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment