Thursday, October 31, 2013

Herb Journal: Burdock Root

Burdock Root tea is certainly not the most delicious, but it is extremely fortifying. In fact, it is not a bad tasting tea, compared to several others, it is warming, and somewhat spicy. It feels grounding. Although burdock root is known to be cooling in action, it feels warming to me, but perhaps because I am simply cold right now, and I am drinking the warm tea. It feels protective and comforting, like a really warm blanket that shuts out the cold on a desperately freezing cold night. It is a forceful detoxifier, and reduces heat, dampness and inflammation, and since I tend to run hot, this is a great herb for me. I haven't been drinking it much over the course of this class, but I'm kind of scratching my head wondering why. I'm loving it right now, thinking this is something I can, and probably should drink every day. It is one of the top alkalizing herbs written about in books on how to alkalize your system. This is something I have been working on, and it's not a bad idea to take this daily for that reason as well. It helps symptoms stemming from chronic anxiety, that's a pretty big reason for me to give it a chance as well.. since things have been making me pretty anxious these days, and I feel that it has been and still is compromising my immune system. The fact that it is known to detoxify the body of poisons is another reason to take it regularly. The toxins we are exposed to these days are so exponential. I feel stronger and determined after drinking it, and my body just feels more present. Glad to revisit burdock, I'm going to make it a part of my routine in the future for sure. Well, in the future, meaning, starting now. Think I'll finish this cup, which I can't always. Anytime I want to finish a cup of tea we are giving as the herb of the week, it is a big thing for me, it tells me.. these are the teas that I need, me in particular, to add to my regimen.. at least for now, unless my body gets to a point where it no longer wants or needs it. Thank you Burdock, for reminding me of how special you are. I don't know if its too late, but if not I may go back to the last place we went for a hike, and try to harvest some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment