Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Herb Journal: Calendula (Marigold)

This flower is so gorgeous, I just love to watch it simmer in a pot with a small amount of water while making a decoction, and watching the beautiful, shimmering blonde leaves float around so gracefully, like ballet dancers in the water, swimming around ... slowly infusing the water with it's golden glow. That is the best thing about making calendula tea. When you strain it, the tea looks a lot like urine. Well, exactly. But no reason to hold that against it. Just looks like it. A lot. Once you get over that, well, what do I think about this tea? I have to say.. its kind of bitter to me, extremely drying. Was never my favorite with regards to taste, or with regards to anything that it did to me, physically, or otherwise. Now, I like to add it to tea mixtures, since it does have that tissue healing property it is so well-known for, but only in mixtures is my move when it comes to calendula, because as a straight tea, i'm just not a big fan. Calendula itself? LOVE IT. It is amazing to apply externally, and I use it ALL THE TIME infused in oil, and it's great in almost any salve imaginable. Despite it's sweet frailty as a flower, just looks-wise, it is a powerhouse of energy when it comes to healing wounds, or any sort of itchy, painful, frustrating issue of the skin. Also as a deuche, wonderful tissue soother & healer. I love this plant. Just, as a tea, not so much. Add some marshmallow, to balance out its astringency (makes my mouth pucker, it is so drying), lavender to mellow it out a bit and give it a pleasureable flavor, and some sort of mint, to take away it's immense heat (it's a "warming herb").. I can hack it. it's also nice with pink rose petals, which help to cool, and balance out the intensity of the plant).They make a good duo. But again, on its own.. just .. yech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment