Thursday, October 31, 2013

Herb Journal: St John's Wort

St John's Wort is another tincture that actually tastes kind of pleasant to me. It feels warming to my chest, is the first sensation that I have after taking almost a full dropper-full in water. My mouth started tingling a bit. Then I took a deep breath, the kind that you take when you have been forgetting to breathe for a while, maybe even a lifetime. I tend to hold my breath when I am stressed, or when my mind is fixated on something. Holding my breath is something I just started to do maybe ... well, less than a decade ago, I had never done that before, perhaps because in that phase of my life, there were a lot of times when I felt baffled. My biggest opponent is confusion. I HATE to be confused. So when things around me are happening that I cannot psychoanalyze or understand whatsoever, and the same applies to people's behavior, it drives me berzerk. And I tend to hold my breath. Something about feeling like "I just don't get it, please tell me what the heck is going on" and holding my breath became a habit, and I still have that going on, unfortunately. But I just noticed that I started breathing. St. Johns Wort, did you give me the power to begin breathing again? I never liked St. John's Wort, but for no reason, other than I hate things that are mass marketed that are supposed to cure people of this or that. St. John's Wort was so overhyped. And what happened to those people for whom St. John's Wort did not help? Should they just go kill themselves or what? But you know what, that's not the herb's fault. It's those dumb marketing people. As we know, different herbs affect everyone in different ways.. it too frustrating to watch everyone and their mother go out and buy any one herb thinking it is the only one, the thing that will help them.. and when it doesn't? So I kind of kicked it to the curb. Also, its not really that great to admit you are depressed. And that's the other thing.. is that all St. John's Wort is good for? Must you be suffering from depression to take it? If you are taking it and it is benefiting you does that mean you are depressed? As you can see, I dont like it when things are put into containers or boxes and are said to have a blanket effect. It gives people false hope, and it makes St. John's Wort, the depression drug. The prozac of the herbal world. It is that, it could be that, but so many other things as well. Who knew that this herb was good for wounds, muscle aches, skin conditions, is also anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, good for respiratory conditions, anemia, weakness, uterine cramping & menstrual disorders, swollen breasts, deep wounds (to heal from the inside out), burns, ulcers, skin tags... and is also a nervine (nerve tonic)? Aside from treating SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and other forms of depression, it is for nervous anxiety, hysteria, and insomnia. So even if you aren't depressed, but you do have chronic anxiety (for which you would only know about kava kava according to those mass marketers...) St John's Wort combined with Kava Kava or other calming sedative herbs (milky oats, passionflower, motherwort, etc) would be a great remedy to keep your cool when emotions are running high. 

No comments:

Post a Comment