Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Herb Journal: Cayenne

Cayenne is one of my favorite herbs. People get confused, like isn't that a spice? What's the difference between herbs and spices? Well they are both plants, but here's the difference, and it really applies here to culinary terminology: According to the Spice Island website, herbs are the leafy portions of the plant, dried or fresh (ie: basil, parsley, cilantro), and spices are harvested from any other part of the plant (roots, seeds, flower buds, berries & stamens). In herbal medicine, though, its all the same. Plants used as medicine = herbs. There are so many great things about cayenne, I don't know where to start! Cayenne is amazing, it can cure pretty much any infection in my experience! It is also great for respiratory issues.. congestion, flu symptoms, allergies, asthma. It's funny we were talking about snorting it for major sinus congestion. I'd say don't try this at home.. but just so you know, I might. But seriously, don't try it. I've heard it can make you hallucinate, and as much fun as that might sound to some, I just don't and never would advocate it. That's not my kind of medicine (hallucinations, and what others might consider psycho-spiritual medicine, a la peyote or Ayahuasca). But I think that the hallucinations might derive from the fact that you are melting your brain. Okay, so if that isn't sufficient warning, I don't know what is. In the meantime, cayenne is a great vasodilator, and can actually stop a heart-attack while it is happening. Gets your circulation flowing, and keeps you healthy, truly, being an antibiotic of the most enviable potency. If you can't take the heat, the best way to take cayenne is in capsule form. For maximum benefit, I would suggest that you buy the powder and make the capsules yourself. You can buy vegetarian gelatin capsules at health food stores. Stuff the cayenne in there, seal, and swallow with some lemonade, it helps counterbalance the spiciness of the cayenne. Otherwise, put a dash in a cup if you are brave, pour in some water, squeeze a lemon into it (or not) and drink. There are so many ways to incorporate cayenne into your diet, lifestyle and body. You can rub it on wounds so as to prevent infection, of course add it to food at any time (in moderation, it is pretty strong), make a tincture. Me and cayenne.. me and any hot pepper, we're friends for life. It is also anti-cancer, anti-tumor, and has been seen in various studies to prevent these diseases from arising, of course, in combination with a healthy lifestyle. For me, cayenne opened up my nasal sinuses just now. I was having a tough time breathing, which i normally do in this apartment i'm staying in right now - allergies - and it had an immediate effect. Also, it just gives me a jolt. If I'm tired or stressed or just fatigued, it wakes me up and makes me feel so much better. Love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment