Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Herb Journal: Mullein

Hmphhh, I just dont know how to say I like Mullein, I just want to, but it just isn't one of those pleasant tasting herbs. But either way, it doesn't make me think it's useless. So, the tea is a really cool shade of almost flourescent yellow/green, the leaves are amidst my favorite because they are so unique and interesting, these fuzzy velvety things that feel like fabric you would use as a blanket, the pretty mint color of them, the neat thick prickly stem, this is a really amazing looking plant, to make you gasp, truly cool looking, like something you would want to paint. Mullein seems to grow quite easily and is a hardy plant, it is known for helping with respiratory complaints, and is good in syrups, the flowers known to ease earaches. The leaves are smoked for respiratory complaints, although I dont have any real urge to smoke any of the herbs we have been studying. Doing a steam inhalation or drinking the tea.. even making a nasal spray or an oil that you can drop into my nose would be preferable. I haven't tried it for UTI's, the tea doesn't seem as mucilaginous as.. say marshmallow or slippery elm, which is good because those can become gross if you dont drink them right away.. i do like teas that you can refrigerate and drink cold later on.. even if the cold isn't particularly the best for your body. old habits die hard, which is no excuse, it might take me a while though, to switch to room temperature and warm on a regular basis. I like the idea of using this externally, or internally as a deuche. I just really dislike the taste. its almost like very little taste, but the little taste that it has it horrendous. Okay to put in a syrup, of course, which more or less masks the flavor of most of the herbs. Would do that. Probably not drink it again, not unless it was a situation where there was nothing else that would work, and it were my only option. Thanks mullein floppy ears, I'll keep you on the outside (or in a tincture, syrup, etc.. however still, I just find other herbs with similar properties more amenable to my taste). For allergies, I'll hold you close, but otherwise, think you will be a back shelf herb for me. Sorry, guy, you are extremely cute though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment