Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Herb Journal: Nettle Leaf

Another herb I want to like, but just in all reality, just don't. It gives me something of a gag reflex actually, it just tastes bad and .. bothers my stomach, making me nauseous. Wow, okay, the stinging nettle leaf. I never understood how a plant that you cannot even handle with your bare hands, because it stings you and leaves your hands sore, red and itchy, could somehow transform into something people are cooking for dinner, or drinking as tea. It does sting a bit, making my tongue and roof of my mouth.. sort of well.. sting, like feel numb, and a bit painful. But there is no denying that this is a plant that can do wonders. First, I have to give it props for being one of the most nutritive. Like Alfalfa & red clover, it is a must have for both iron and calcium supplements, and is extremely alkalizing, like all dark leafy greens. Full of chlorophyll, it is a huge benefit to your system, and balances that acid/alkaline P.H. Also, I have used it as a case study, regarding allergies and coughs, and well.. it lives up to its reputation, this is a priceless herb for allergies, and respiratory complaints. I have literally seen it work, seen someone who was coughing drink a tea of it, and just stop coughing, and this is someone with a long term chronic cough, and it just stopped. Then I made an allergy syrup, which this person gave to a friend, who also had a serious chronic cough, and it had the same effect on her. Can't knock it. Just perhaps, try to mask it in some honey and make a syrup. I didn't seem to dislike it so much in the summer, which makes sense in context since it is so cooling. I am feeling kind of cold in this apartment while I drink it, which may be why it is more offensive to me than interesting. Of course, as one studies herbal medicine, you grow to understand that whether an herb rubs you the right or wrong way has a lot to do with your condition at the time, and what your body needs. If your body doesnt need it, or if it has no practical use, then your body wont like it, if your body needs it, you will want to drink several glasses, or at least one full one. I never had an affinity for nettles, but I do remember that I found it much less offensive in the summer, when i drank it with ice, than I do now, when I am drinking it warm. Oh, and I can't forget to mention how much nettles is indicated for strengthening hair and stimulating growth, I will always put it in my hair tonics and oils as long as I have some on hand, along with horsetail, burdock rosemary and ginger (which i like as a scalp stimulant). 

No comments:

Post a Comment